Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Cooking in Japan

One of my goals when coming to Japan was to learn how to cook Japanese food.  However, when I first got here, I ate it so much at school that on the weekends, it was the last thing that I wanted to prepare.  Now though, it is as much as a part of me as any Western dish.  Unfortunately, in the past almost four years, I haven't actually attempted to make it (minus the sushi incident from two years ago).  I guess I keep on hoping that somebody would teach me, but the sooner August approaches, the more I have realized that if I want to learn how to cook, I need to teach myself.  I don't want to end up in the United States with Japanese food cravings and only a rice cooker to appease them!  With this in mind and a relatively free weekend, I decided that it was time to face the challenge! 

 

My first step was to find several recipes that looked interesting and in the meantime decipher the basic Japanese food staples.  With a dictionary in hand, I headed to the supermarket to buy such things as dashi (だし), mirin (味醂), sake (酒), miso (味噌), and shoyu (醤油).  I even bought of cooking chopsticks just for the fun of it!  


My first recipe -- nikujaga (肉じゃが) or literally "meat potato."  According to my former vice principal, its origins aren't actually Japanese, but instead was the product of a failed attempt at making stew.  However, for me, I first ate it in Japan and will always consider it the Japanese version of "pot roast." 


After cooking it for forever (almost to the point where I became sick of the smell) it was finally ready.  The results: quite delicious, but slightly salty!  Next time, I will modify the broth, add some more veggies, tofu, and even maybe some konyaku (an interesting calorie-free Japanese jelly that is actually illegal in the United States due to its possible choking hazard)



My next cooking attempt -- tamagoyaki.  Basically, a sweetened rolled egg, it is frequently seen in Japanese bento (lunch boxes).  It is high in protein and very yummy.  At first, I was a bit intimidated by the rolling technique, but I think I actually was quite successful.  (In fact, when I offered Sarah a piece, her first response was "It looks real!!"  The taste results: the eggs were too sweet -- next time, I need to cut down the sugar.

As for my next cooking project, the ingredients are already in the fridge.  I plan on making miso soup (みそ汁).  After rice, it is probably the most eaten food here in Japan (and definitely one of my absolute favorite dishes).  After that.... well, I have a growing list of recipes I want to try.  Stay posted for more pictures!  And, who knows, if I actually get good enough, I might actually cook for you!

1 comment:

Hilda said...

I will anxiously be waiting for a Japanese meal cooked by my dear niece! Can't wait to see you, Emmy!