Saturday, April 14, 2012

Kyoto!

Last Saturday, Sarah, Haruku, and I took a day trip to Kyoto.  The purpose was two-fold.  The main purpose was to see the sakura -- because Kyoto is truly the best place to see it!!!  Our trip (wonderfully planned by Haruku) first took us to Fushimi Inari, a Shinto shrine to the patron god of wealth.  It is known for its "1000 torii gates" each donated by a company. While a very interesting place from a historical and cultural perspective, we couldn't help but consider its stark contrast to Christianity's free salvation.  After a walk down a river lined with sakura (where we observed people enjoying hanami -- picnics under the flowers) we enjoyed lunch and then headed to Daigoji Temple.  One of Japan's national treasures, it is also considered to be one of the best places to see sakura.  In the evening, we headed for Gion (known for its geiko).  Sadly, we didn't see any of these beautiful ladies, but we did enjoy illuminated sakura.  It was a wonderful trip but also bittersweet.   Oh how I love Kyoto and sakura!!  I could never tire of this city.  I was sad to leave, knowing that it is probably my last time there in a long time.  I was also reminded of how much I truly love Japan and how sad I will be when I have to say my final goodbyes.  Thank you Haruku and Sarah for making it a truly wonderful day!! (To see more photos, click here

No comments: