I thought I would give you an update. As seen from the above picture, I am acclimating to Japanese life a little bit more everyday :-) Actually, though, I thought I would give you a summary of some of the things that have been happening to me this past month in Japan. Currently, I still have no Internet (hence the very tardy response time I have had in responding back to your emails.... I am sorry, I will get to them, but whenever I find a connection, I figure I should post so that I can reach more of you. Thank you though for all of your notes and letters, each and everyone is appreciated and hearing from home is such a wonderful thing! I still get homesick often). Tomorrow is the first day of school, though I technically will not be teaching until Thursday (too complicated to explain why). I have been told that most of Monday will be spent in earthquake drills. My instructions from my vice-principal: Grab helmet. Run.
When I actually do begin classes, I will be responsible for teaching English conversation to both 2nd and 3rd year Junior High School students (approx. 330) as well as the entire six grades of my elementary school (too many students to count). I am really looking forward to meeting my students and getting back into the classroom especially since much of the past few weeks has been spent in training.
Other than that, I have had oh, so many adventures including three different crash (or should I say splash) courses in Japanese plumbing. I have gotten lost more times than I can count. I have eaten all kinds of unidentifiable things, and learned that it is perfectly appropriate to pick ones teeth and trim ones toenails in public. However, it is completely rude to put someone else's business card in your pocket. Additionally, my Japanese is getting a little bit better every day (of course, I did tell my neighbor "Marine, Marine" instead of "I'm sorry I don't understand"). In fact, I have had to give several introductory speeches in Japanese (i.e. to the mayor, head of the school board, my principal, my vice-principal, my fellow teachers). However, do not be impressed, they basically have gone as follows: "It's nice to meet you. My name is...... I am from the United States. I have been in Japan since August. My hobby is playing the harp. Please take care of me."
Well, my Internet time is up. I miss you all.
Lots of Love,
The Tentmaker
2 comments:
I recognized you (or at least your blouse) but who's your friend? And what are the masks used for...any particular celebration?
Hey love! We have been thinking about you often! I LOVED and died laughing at the Mission Impossible Rice Cooker Cake Experiment!
So ... how are you holding up? We were talking about the next time we will see you ... let's continue that convo via email when you have more frequent Internet access!
So, my friend Kaori Nakata's parents are in Kanagawa. I think that she is living in Tokyo these days and she is the sweetest girl on the planet next to you of course! : ) I have her address and her parents' phone number. If you can find someone to communicate in Japanese with them -- I would love to find where she is these days and figure out a way to connect you guys...??? She will definitely give you a great guided tour. :) (She was my adopted little sister during my last year in DC.
Mucho hugs and I hope that you are having a great Monday over there!
Much love,
Jen
Post a Comment