Friday, August 1, 2008

To Pack or Not to Pack....






How do you pack your entire life in 2 suitcases and a carry on? This past week has been definitely a challenge as I have had to once again determine what is truly important. Goodbye to the matching hot pink shoes and purses; goodbye to the ice cream maker and parfait dishes; hello to down-sizing and the wonders of vacuum cleaner bags (and fabulous sister who know how to use them)!






In all actuality, I have been blessed. Japan is hardly a third-world country. Most things that we as Americans are used to (minus toothpaste and deodorant for some unknown reason) can be purchased there. Of course, I also have been told that people of "unusual sizes" (like this long-legged, big-footed author) have difficulty finding clothes that fit.... All in all, packing really hasn't been too difficult, just a learning experience. It has forced me to consider what is important, necessary, and remind me most of home.




However, one of my most prized possessions, Madame Eglantine has been forced to stay behind. Being over six-feet tall, she is just a little too big to squeeze into my suitcase. Please pray that I can locate a harp once I get there. I have several leads, but it is a bit challenging to do long distance communication (in a foreign language no less!)

No comments: