Sunday, July 13, 2008

The Plan....So Far



Since many have asked me what I am actually going to be doing in Japan, I thought I would go ahead and answer this question again on the blog. I applied for an Assistant Language Teacher (ALT) position through the Japan Exchange and Teaching (JET) Programme, and have been assigned to Hamamatsu, Japan. Here I will be teaching both elementary and middle school English as a foreign language for at least the next year.


For those of you who have never heard of Hamamatsu (it's okay, I hadn't either before I received my placement), it is in Central Honshu about two hours (by bullet train) southwest of Tokyo (see the little red dot on the map). Located on the Pacific Ocean and bordered by Lake Hama and the Akashi Mountain Range, Hamamatsu is known for both its eel and mandarin oranges. Additionally, the city is the home of Yamaha, Suzuki, and Honda manufacturing plants for both motorcycles and musical instruments.

No comments: