Saturday, July 12, 2008

Why Japan?



The above question is one that I have been frequently asked and ponder quite a bit. Humanly speaking, Japan doesn't really sound like my "perfect match" for a country -- it is so far from home, I don't speak the language, the culture is so different from America, I hate seafood etc. However, I know without a doubt it is exactly where I am supposed to go. For what reason? I don't know, but then again, who of us actually writes our own life stories?

Japan has always been a part of my life. I grew up knowing that my grandfather was there as an ex-prisoner of war during World War II. Then when I was seven or eight, one of my closest friend's family had a Japanese exchange student for the summer. I was fascinated by all that she said regarding her country and was determined to visit someday. At age sixteen, I did just that while on a mission's trip. During the trip not only was I given the great privilege to be the featured soloist in a concert for the community, but I was given the opportunity to visit several elementary schools to perform and teach English. The experiences were truly one of the greatest things that I have ever had the opportunity to do and I knew that one day I would return...

That day is right around the corner. As I look at the last picture in my 1000 photo album of my previous trip (copied above), I see the realization in eyes..."I will be back for this is where God has called me!"

No comments: