So, here in Japan, a favorite summer pastime is to wear yukata and watch fireworks (literally "flower fire"). Not to be outdone by the Japanese, it seemed like a perfect cultural experience! So, Sarah and I recruited several Japanese friends to help us out (after-all, dressing in a yukata is a bit challenging and if you put it on wrong, everyone will point out that you are dressed like a dead person!!) Fireworks occurred basically every Saturday in August, but we chose the Fukuroi City ones because they were supposed to be the biggest display in the area. Local companies sponsor the fireworks (or as Sarah aptly put it "their tax write-offs go up in smoke -- literally!), little food stands set up on the grounds, and it becomes a complete family-night out. We definitely weren't disappointed. For two hours straight, fireworks of all shapes and colors including strawberry fireworks, smiley faces, and pastel burst of color, banged in the dark. Unfortunately, I'm not so talented in taking firework photos, but here are a few of our fabulous evening...
Sarah getting wrapped, squashed, and tied up in her yukata.
Me modeling the latest fashion -- three-quarter sleeve and ankle length yukata(Ah, the joys of being a tall foreigner in a tiny world!)
2 comments:
What fun! I love Sarah's yukata. Just like dress-up!
I've been checking for your postings, Emmy. It was so good seeing you in Florida. Can't wait till Christmas! Love you.
Looks like a fun, cultural way to spend a Saturday evening! Loved the pictures - and your new background!
Post a Comment