Sunday, September 19, 2010

Radio Taiso

In honor of Sports Day, it only seems fitting to post the Japanese "Radio Taiso". "Radio Taiso" was first aired in Japan after WWII, and can still be watched early in the mornings on TV. It is designed to energize all body-types, and in fact, some companies actually use it as a morning team-building exercise. Its not uncommon to see the entire workforce doing it on the open-air roof veranda. My students sometimes do it, too -- a fact I learned two years ago at Sports Day. At that time, I found myself not only in front of all of my students' parents and grandparents, but also facing the entire school body doing these exercise. What initially was a very humiliating event (everyone knew what they were doing and I had absolutely no clue -- and hiding wasn't really an option) has turned into a great daily early-morning harp exercise for me. It's a wonderful stretch for harp arms and back!!!


1 comment:

Allison Mhoon said...

What a cheerful, adorable, happy little morning exercise video! Made me giggle. Especially the piano melody! Maybe I should teach Madeline that as she grows up??? :)