Thursday, June 7, 2012

Don't say "kekko" until you have seen Nikko


Last weekend, I embarked on my trip with my LOLs.  Due to their health issues, we had to cancel our trip last year, so this one was extremely important.  In fact, they planned it over seven months ago!  The destination was Nikko (literally "sunlight") -- a city north of Tokyo and up in the mountains.  The purpose of the trip was not only to see the sights, but to also enjoy a special musical package which included two concerts (a string quartet and highlights from the opera, The Barber of Seville) and a stay at the famed Kanaya hotel.

I couldn't have asked for a more wonderful trip.  It appealed to every sense and equally touched every aspect of my soul.  The scenery, the music, the culture, the food -- everything was truly perfect!  But the best part was definitely the company!  Some people might think it is strange that I enjoy hanging out with a group of 70 year olds but I honestly love it.   Life doesn't always have to be face-paced crazy adventures (though those are equally as fun!)  Sometimes, it is nice to take everything at a slower pace and enjoy the deeper and more cultured aspects of life.  I believe that there is so much you can learn from people who have had more experience in life, and it is even better when these people are solid Christians who can offer sound advice as well.  Since my LOLs once lived overseas themselves, they have a great compassion and patience for my current state -- its struggles and victories!  They have helped me and stretched me (in fact, they insisted that the conversations of this entire trip be done in Japanese!  And they encouraged only polite Japanese from me as well.  I saw quite an improvement in my language skills -- but my brain was completely fried by the end!!) 

Its hard to believe that I met them my first week in Japan.  During these past four years, I have been blessed time after time by them.  They have really loved me and taken me under their wings.  They have seen me in my best times, but even more importantly, they have seen me in my worst times.  And, when someone can love you even in your worst time, you know that you are truly loved!  As for the amazing trip, the pictures can be found here 

1 comment:

the tent maker said...

For those of you who have asked, there is a Japanese phrase 日光を見なければ結構というな, which basically translates as "Don't say 'kekko' until you have seen Nikko." "Kekko" means "splendid, magnificent"; however, it is also the polite way of saying "I've had enough." So, it is basically a play on words describing the beauty of Nikko.