Even though I still have about six weeks here in Japan, the goodbyes have started -- and they AREN'T easy ;-( The first came with Mami-chan. Mami, a member of my English church, is such a sweet, stalwart Christian woman. Recently, she decided to quit her job in search of a more meaningful position. For the last few months, she has been working up in Tohoku as a translator and assistant for Samaritan's Purse as they work diligently to rebuild the tsunami-wrecked area. Sarah, Mami, and I had a lovely time at Mr. Donuts (a favorite snack place ;-) talking about our current situations in life and the mysteries that lie ahead! One of the most meaningful events of the evening was when Mami told us a story about a Japanese man that she met who, living in a part of Japan unreachable by the Japanese military, was grateful when he received an airdrop of ready-to-eat meals from the American army. His survival depended on the REMs and he saved one as a remainder. He told Mami, thank you and asked her to pass the message along. Because I was the closet thing to the American military that she could think of, she conveyed his thanks to me. I felt so unworthy to receive them.
 |
| How many donuts can one person eat?? |
 |
| Monocles |
 |
| Bug eyes! |
 |
| Showing off our "rings" |
1 comment:
Wow - what a great story! I wonder who you could pass the message to? Seems like somebody who has some say should hear about this. Oh, and the three donut-eaters pictures were good, too!
Post a Comment