Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Where are my mice when I need them?

I'm sure most of you are very familiar with the following scene.  Because Cinderella doesn't have time, her mice friends work, oh so diligently, to help her make a beautiful dress.  Together they make a masterpiece, and boy do they make it look easy!


But, alas, it is NOT easy!  And I should know...



Over a year ago, I fell in love with a dress at a second-hand shop.  There was only one problem, it was way too short.  However, because it was less than $3, I figured that maybe I could come up with a solution, and if not, it wouldn't be too huge of an investment.  My first plan was to find a slip or skirt to wear underneath it.  But, no matter how hard I looked, I couldn't locate the right color or design.  My next idea was to have the talented seamstress that created my graduate school recital dress (and performed liposuction on my sister's wedding dress) once again do her magic.  However, as I live in Japan and she lives in Florida, it was, as we say in Japanese muri (impossible).  

So, there the dress hung in my closet for over a year waiting to be worn.  But, then this past weekend, the ladies from my church had a wedding shower for two brides-to-be.  Because it was to be a "girls' only" event, we all decided to wear something we couldn't normally wear in overly-conservative Japan (i.e. baring our shoulders!!)   My dress seemed like a perfect outfit, but even with fewer dressing restrictions, it was still too short. 

I mentioned my desire to wear the dress to Sarah, who suggested that I make a hem myself.  "You can do it," she said, "there's really nothing to it!"  Kindly, she guided me through the process of measuring, pinning, and cutting.  Then I sewed solo.  However, I thought that one pin wasn't quite right.  So, I moved it.  This caused the material to bubble so I moved the next pin.  And, the next.  And the next...  Since the hem was a circle, the domino effect lasted for infinity.  Literally!  However, I was determined not to lose the battle to an inanimate object.  And, I didn't!  But, I promise you, I will never do something like this again...



...at least not without my mice!

1 comment:

mum said...

Very cute (and so is your hair!) I'll bet you learned a lot from the experience, even though it wasn't fun!