Do you remember this post? Well, December came and guess what? I got to wear my kimono!! I was a little worried for awhile because it seemed as if everyone forgot that I actually had it. But, come to find out, it they hadn't forgotten. The issue was that not just any Japanese person can help a foreigner put on a kimono. They actually have to have been trained in kimono-dressing! Whereas my vice-principal and nurse thought that it would be really neat if I could wear the kimono to my school's New Year's party, neither of them are knowledgeable in all things kimono. However, the week before the party, I had a reunion with Ayano (see below post) who happened to wear a kimono. Her ensemble gave my vice-principle an idea and she asked Ayano to save the day! The night before the party, Ayano, Ms. Takimoto, Ms. Takimoto's daughter, and I went to the local kimono shop where I purchased the additional things needed for my ensemble (including a special pair of socks and a bigger pair of shoes). Ms. Takimoto gave me the bright yellow obi and she and Ayano let me borrow several important (but expensive) undergarments. The night of the party, Ayano came to school and did my hair and wrapped, tied, and arranged my kimono. I'm not sure which of us had more fun! We then drove to a local hotel where the rest of the school staff exclaimed over my Japanese fashion and the hotel staff stared at the only blonde who was the only person wearing a kimono!

My school nurse (Ms. Ichikawa) who gave me the kimono, me, and Ms. Takimoto

No comments:
Post a Comment