Saturday, June 12, 2010

運動会:Elementary School Sports' Day

Spring is the time for Elementary school sports days here in Japan. Since, I teach at three elementary schools this year, it only seem appropriate to enjoy the activities at one (since they were all held on the same weekend). The morning found me rushing around in a panic. I had intended to wear a green shirt (since it was the lightest long-sleeved thing I had in my closest and sun-protection was a must!). However, before I left I remembered some important words told to me almost two years ago by a Japanese teacher. Color teams at Japanese sports days are really important. Therefore, as an "outsider" (i.e. not parent, teacher, student) it is either important not to take partiality. My choices -- either to wear none of the colors or all of them!!! Well, the blue hat was easy, and I figured I could switch my tank-top from white to pink (or an attempt at red). White socks completed the ensemble. However, for the life of me, I couldn't find anything yellow to wear. So, in my mad dash out the door I grabbed the only yellow thing I could find -- a dish towel!!!
As silly as I felt, I was glad for my decision... As soon as I arrived at school, the "green team" cheered at my shirt while the others had a genuine look of disappoint. However, when I pointed out every aspect of my wardrobe, I soon became the coolest teacher there. As for the dish towel, it stayed draped around my neck alongside my name card so the parents in attendance wouldn't be too concerned about the foreign clown talking to their kids. (Oh, and as a side note, I am sure I didn't look quite as silly as the dad wearing a purple Hello Kitty towel on his head!) But enough about me and my clothes. The sports day brought lots of cute kids. 1050 to be exact!

...some really creative samurai costumes...


...some really big balls...

...and really big shorts...
...a game involving a tire that I never figured out..

...a hula-hoop hop...

...a crazy ball toss..

...some really strong kids...







...and lots and lots of shoes!

No comments: