Saturday, June 26, 2010

Be sure your sins will find you out...

After three days on IVs and a week on rice porridge and Pocari Sweat (Japan's appetizing name for their version of Gatorade), I was finally deemed well enough to eat normal foods. Of course since the Japanese definition of "normal" foods and my own often conflict, Sarah recommended that I asked my doctor if pizza was included on the list. With a go-ahead from him, I excitedly ordered delivery pizza for dinner. Well, the last time I posted about ordering pizza, I didn't tell the whole truth. You see, Sarah and I used our combined powers to get the pizza -- I didn't do by myself -- and I failed to give credit where credit was due. However, this time, I tried to order solo. I thought I was successful and patiently waited the allotted hour; however, when an hour and half passed and no pizza showed up, I started to worry. Finally, after an hour and forty-five minutes passed, the doorbell rang. I excitedly answered only to find Sarah -- my face definitely showed my disappointment. Admitting my inadequacy and her stronger Japanese skills, I begged her to make my pizza appear. After reading the order form, she pointed out that the restaurant's computer system had crashed and they had never received my request. Because it was already almost ten, I gave up on my craving, fried an egg instead, and vowed to try the next weekend. A week past (where I practiced eating slightly blander foods), and I bravely tried again. I ordered my pizza -- this time getting an email confirmation, a good sign! -- and waited patiently. However, when it once again failed to appear, I panicked and called Sarah. Come to find out, to successfully order a pizza in Japan, you first place your order, then you get an email, then you must respond to the email within 30 minutes or your request will be canceled. Unfortunately, I had forgotten about this obstacle course. My third attempt was the charm, and my pizza finally arrived, piping hot (and with corn and potatoes on top!) Now that I am no longer hooked up to a drip, I think its time to hit the Japanese books again!!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

日本語を勉強しましょう!