Wednesday, May 26, 2010
Speeches!!
Japanese people like their speeches. In fact, everything has a speech. "Before an activity" speech. "An after activity" speech. Introduction speeches. Goodbye speeches. " You can do it" speeches.... They go on and on... But, it seems like even more than giving speeches, the Japanese people like having foreigners give speeches -- in Japanese of course!!! (Okay, I might be exaggerating here, but it sure feels like it!). Case in point, I just came across these pictures yesterday. They were taken in September 2008 (one month after I arrived in Japan). My pre-warning was about a day before (or was it the day? I really don't remember). Anyway, I was told that I was going to have to give a speech to introduce myself to the kids. I asked if I could do it in English. The response: it had to be in Japanese. (Nobody seemed to consider the fact that I couldn't speak a word of Japanese or that there were four English teachers available)....
Was I scared?? Completely petrified!! Sure, I have performed in front of hundreds of people, but, usually when I do so I at least know what I am doing!!!
However after this very, very terrifying event (the kids started to laugh half-way through and I had no clue why. I later found out that I address them using a very very polite word -- like something you would say to the Queen) I have become a little more comfortable with the entire speech process. I now am usually quite good at anticipating when they will be. For example, every year when the new teachers arrive, we have to give a speech introducing ourselves. My first year's speech: "Hello Everyone, I am Emily. I'm from the US. I look forward to working with you this year." My second year's speech: "Hello everyone, I am Emily. I'm from Florida state in the United States of America. I have been in Japan for 8 months. My hobby is playing the harp. I look forward to working with you this year. (I got a hearty applause that time!!!) This year's speech: "Hello everyone, I am Emily. I am the ALT. I'm from Florida State in the United States of America. I have been in Japan for a year and a half. I have taught at this school the entire time. Before coming to Japan, I studied music in graduate school. I play the harp. Now I can't speak Japanese very well, but I am studying the language. The reason why I am in Japan is because when I was a junior high school student, my dream was to be an English teacher in Japan. I look forward to working with you this year." (I didn't have to look at my cheat-sheet once!)
Of, course this introductory speech only works sometimes. Like, when I was asked to give a speech to my elementary school kids in both Japanese and English. I had to improvise on the fly (and on the entire school's TV system!) However, in my personal opinion, the best speech I gave was at a teachers' dinner party. When each person entered, they had to draw a card to decide their seat position (seating is really important in Japan, too!). During the "before dinner-speeches" speeches, we were asked to check our cards for special stamp. Those with the stamp had to give the before and after dinner speeches. When the MC (a Japanese language teacher) found out I was one of the "lucky" winners, his facial expression flashed from extreme shock to horror to pure entertainment. First, he put the English teachers in charge of teaching me my speech over dinner. They gave me a very simplistic phrase to learn (something like "That's all folks" or at least I think that was it!) I was doing just fine until the MC decided that he wanted to spice it up a bit.... Unfortunately, during this entire process I had absolutely know clue what I was saying and his suggestions were...well, let's just say a slightly more sober teacher told me not to repeat anything he said! But the idea of an elongated speech stuck. Finally, the dreaded hour came. I stood up, and completely forgot all I was to say. Thankfully, the school principal wasn't in the room, so my speech was postponed. The other teachers had sympathy on me and we had a complete staff practice. However, when the principal returned, I was left on my own. The MC introduced me as the evening's entertainment (an accurate description I'm sure) and up I stood. However, instead of Japanese words (or any kind of words for that matter) falling out of my mouth, I began to laugh hysterically for here I was, the only non-Japanese speaker having to give a speech while all the Japanese teachers looked on encouragingly. Except no matter how "encouraging" they looked, they were leaving it up to me to do it by myself. Of course, I totally blanked again (but thankfully the school's janitor took pity on me and whispered the words). I mumbled, I bumbled, and ultimately bowed to resounding applause. As for the contents of the speech, to this day I still don't know what I said!! (But I now know who not to repeat!)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
That's hilarious! Way to go on your speeches!!! Dale Carnegie would be so proud. :)
Post a Comment