Monday, March 8, 2010

Please Joke with Me

One of the things that I miss most in Japan is quick-witted (and sometimes cornball) humor. You know, the kind that plays on words and requires random and fast thinking. My brother-in-law Nathan is especially good at this, and I always have a blast joking back and forth with him. I have tried to use it occasionally here in Japan, but often to no avail. Usually, what is supposed to be funny ends up in a long explanation of vocabulary, background cultural information, and finally a restatement of the punch line five different ways.... It just doesn't work cross-culturally! However, today I had an epiphany while putting up a picture of my newest niece (from left to right Madeline Ellyse Mhoon, Elisabeth Irene Polderman, and Clara Suzanne Polderman). These girls below are my "toaster children"! You know "poster children" -- "toaster children!" Heeheehee. In fact I even said it out loud and half expected Nathan to make another quip....
...Okay. After reading the above, maybe humor doesn't work too well in blogging either. With the long drawn out explanations, rephrasing of the punch line... Well, at least I got a laugh out of it (and a piece of toast!)

3 comments:

mum said...

Cornball...? Grandpa,too! People from Indiana get it!

Sarah said...

かんぱい! A toast to your toaster children.

Allison Mhoon said...

Ah, we LOVE your toaster kids!!! :)