How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard: and How can they hear without someone preaching to them? And how can they preach unless they are sent?... Romans: 10:14-16b
A helidoctor (don't you just love this Japanese word?) landed in my school's field yesterday. Of course, its arrival brought a lot of curiosity from my kids. Although, an announcement was made over the school's intercom for teachers to keep all students indoors, it didn't dissuade everyone from peeking out the windows. Soon, the helidoctor flew away, seemingly without a patient. School continued on as usual, but for one local family, life will never be the same.
It wasn't until this morning that information was shared about yesterday's events. A 2nd grader from the "feeder" elementary school (less than two blocks away) was the victim of a bike/car crash. The helidoctor was called in, but the student died on the scene. This was the second elementary student to die within two days (the other finally succumbing to a brain tumor). Today, the elementary school had a school assembly and the school's counselor was called in to "fix the students' hearts!"
Oh, how my heart ached when I heard this. "Why? Why God?" I pleaded as I did my morning sweeping routine. The families must be utterly and bitterly devastated. They have no one to turn to. No one to cling to. In just a matter of seconds, two precious lives were gone...Oh, how I longed to be able to offer comfort, a kind word, a listening ear to those whose hearts must be breaking!!
Religious faith in Japan is shallow. I can't even describe the emptiness that I see as people pray and offer incense to gaudy gold-gilded idols. I hate visiting shrines and temples, because the spiritual warfare is so pronounced. It is as if Satan is laughing and reiterating his words to Christ "See, I told you that all the kingdoms of the Earth are mine. 'I will give you all their authority and splendor, for it has been given to me, and I can give it to anyone I want to. So if you worship me, it will all be yours'. (Luke 4:6)"
While I silently prayed for the victims' tragedies, I was reminded of the above verse from Romans. I have been called here for a reason. In fact, I know for certain, that God isn't done with me here in Japan. As a human, the magnitude of the calling can be so overwhelming at times. As far as I know, I am the only Christian in my school's town. Everyone from the kindergartners to the grandpas know who I am...but I hardly know everyone. I am always visible, but oh so unworthy!
Thankfully, compared to the school's counselor who now has the burden of "fixing the students' hearts" I have a far greater comfort. My job is not to change people. I can't! I, a sinner, am completely incapable of saving another's soul. My Dear Heavenly Father, who has brought me here and walks beside me in every step is the only One who can do that. Oh, what joy! What relief!! But what pain, what sorrow I daily see and how hopeless I feel.
If you remember, please pray from my kids, their families, my fellow teachers, and myself. Pray that God would use me mightily in the lives of those with whom I daily come in contact; that I would be open to opportunities to share my faith, and that I will faithfully follow my Father where ever he leads. Japan is a desert. The reality of its bareness is a daily reminder. I, too, find myself parched. Pray that God will send a mighty flood...
Wednesday, March 10, 2010
On Faith...and Floods
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Powerful reminder, dearest Emily. We should all be more sensitive to the lost who surround us. You know you're in my prayers.....
Post a Comment