Saturday, April 25, 2009

If you give the ALT a flag...

If you have a fire drill, make sure to tell the ALT. If you tell the ALT, she will ask for a job. If you give her a job by handing her a flag and leaving her in the hall, she will smile and bow to every passing teacher. If you want her outside (don't leave her in the hall), tell her where to go outside (its a big world beyond the school's borders). If you direct her outside and tell her to wave the flag, she will do so with all her might. If she waves a Red Cross flag, some one might think she is part of the Red Cross and go to her for medical supplies. If someone asks her for a band aid, it might be a good idea to let her know where they are. If she can't find the band aid and is still waving the flag, she might start feeling a little bit silly. If she is feeling silly, she will feel less silly when all the students and teachers come pouring out of the school with helmets and pillows on their heads and handkerchiefs over their noses. If the teachers and students come pouring out of school looking like martians, the ALT will remember that she is having the adventure of her life. If the ALT is reminded that she is having an adventure she will wish she had her camera. So, if you have a fire drill, make sure to tell the ALT.

3 comments:

Hilda said...

Oh, Emmy. Just the mind-picture created by your words caused me to laugh--I wish you did have a camera!!! It must have been a sight for American eyes to behold. Was it a fire drill? Why do they have helmets? Love you, Aunti Hildi

mum said...

Would have loved to have seen that untaken picture! Could you have used your Japanese cell phone to document this adventure??

the tent maker said...

It was a fire drill, and I wished I hadn't left my cell phone inside either. If only I would have known... I think the helmets were for protection from falling debris. What I don't understand is why they had pillows on their heads. Wouldn't they be prone to being ignited easily?