Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Easter

In Japan, where the holiday only exists in the German-imported chocolate bunnies, Resurrection Sunday slipped passed many without them ever knowing its significance. As for me, every Easter, I find myself contemplating a different aspect of the holiday. Some years it has been the pain of the crucifixion, others the awesomeness of the resurrection or the impressions of those present during Christ's last days. This year, though, my thoughts led to something completely different than ever before -- the beauty of new life. Coming from the bitter, windy winter into the gorgeous flower-adorned spring made me actually fully appreciate the parallel of rebirth when one becomes a Christian. Just as the the tulips hibernate in the winter in their ugly bulbs only to blossom into beautiful flowers during the spring, so our lives are transformed by God's graciousness. But, just as the flowers can only grow with God's provisions of sun and rain, so do we need spiritual food and communion with him as well. This point has been especially difficult for me recently as I have often found myself thirsting for English Christians with whom I can stay accountable and worship alongside. I have been blessed with a wonderful Japanese church which has adopted me as one of their own, but still the lack of Christian communion in my native language has been difficult. Many of you have asked how you can pray for me... this, dear friends, is one of many prayer requests.

2 comments:

Anna said...

Emily This is so beautiful and so sweet Love you Grandma

mum said...

I can see why the beauty of new life would have been impressed on you this Easter - the flowers are gorgeous! And as a Floridian, you never had the opportunity to appreciate the wonder of a "real" spring after the cold, snowy winter - the weather here feels about the same all year around. Isn't this another special experience in your "tent-making" adventure?!