Friday, March 2, 2012

A Birthday Present from Heaven


March 2nd has long been special to me. For it was on this day, that at the age of seven, I began to my personal relationship with Christ. I vividly remember sitting on my parents’ bed asking my mom if Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, and Mickey Mouse were real. After the obvious discussion that ensued, she guided our conversation towards the reality of Christ and his existence in our lives. It was at this time that I “asked him into my heart.” Over the next few years, my relationship with Christ was immature. It was not until age sixteen, during the weeks prior to and while on a mission’s trip to Japan that I really began to understood His presence, perfect plan, and faithfulness. I will never forget, on the day before I was supposed to return to the USA, hearing God say “Someday you will be back here to work for me.” Ever since then, I have been eager to return to Japan curious to see what He had in store for me.


However, things here in Japan haven't always gone as I expected. In fact, I can honestly confess that I assumed great changes would take place in my presence. For example, when I first entered my junior high school, I had dreams of turning it into a bilingual school. Was I ever wrong! I quickly realized that learning English was neither a priority or an incentive for my students. My kids are very low-level and few have dreams beyond the onion and potato farms. I want to do big things with them but frequently all I can do is smile. I want to talk with them, but often the only word they understand is “Hello.” I am supposed to be teaching them English, but instead I find myself using my horrible Japanese just so that they won't run away from me.

Everyday, when I enter class, I am greeted with silence and blank stares. As much as I love teaching, it has often felt like a thankless job. But, God made it very clear that he wanted me at this school, so for the past almost four years, I have worked hard hoping and praying that I would make a difference. Time after time, I have begged asking Him to work mightily through me.  I have come to the realization that whatever His plans are for my students, it is not for me to know or see. My heart breaks because I love them, but I have to trust Him – knowing that He loves them more than I ever could....


This afternoon while I was alone washing dishes from the Easter Egg Extravaganza (see below) one of my third-year students rushed in. I was surprised. What was he doing here? Shouldn't he be in class studying? “Emily, please go to the gym,” he said. “What?” I asked. “Please come with me.” Completely confused and still wearing my apron, I followed. “What on earth is going on?” I thought. As we approached, I noticed that the entire third-year class was in a meeting.  When we entered, they all (teachers included) turned toward me and began to applaud.  I was so confused.  In a panic, I looked to Mr. Ishida (the English teacher) for a hint. He only beamed and told me to go to the front of the stage.  So there I stood with green-dyed fingers, soapy arms, and a hot pink cupcake apron completely oblivious to what would happen next.

Two students approached me. “You have long legs,” one said. “Thank you for teaching us English.” With that, she handed me a red file folder. Two more students came. This time they were boys. “You teach us many things. You have a beautiful smile. I love you,” one said, as he handed me a yellow folder.  Next, was a blue folder soon followed by a green folder.  As I stood there speechless with tears in my eyes, I realized that each one was filled with letters from my graduating students. Never before had I ever received thank you notes from them.

Later at my desk, as I savored each message I couldn't help but shed more tears: “I didn't like English because I thought we don't need English. But I understood through your English Conversation class 'English is very important'” “If you didn't come to Japan as an English teacher, I might not like English. So, I thank to you.” “You speak to me with a smile whenever I meet you.  It makes me happy.” Letter after letter I read my students' notes. It was obvious that they were written from their hearts. Each was unique. Some wished me luck in my studies and future teaching while promising to do their best while others recalled memories that I had forgotten. “When I cut my hair, you found that my hair was shorter than before. I was surprised and very glad.” “I was glad to run together at the corridor on a rainy day” “I remember that you said 'You are very funny' to me, when I talked with you.  I'm very glad then."”...




I write about today's experience now, not to boast but to bless and be blessed. My student's act of kindness was a reminder that my God is faithful. Why was it that He allowed me to see some fruits of my labor? I have no idea, but it was a blessing to me to see that I have impacted their lives, even in a small way. It was also a reminder that God can use us in many ways, in any place. Even when we do the most mundane things, God still uses us.

He must increase, but I must decrease.  (John 3:30)



I once thought that my smile and “hellos” were insignificant, but He has allowed me to realize differently.  As Christians, we are always being watched. Our actions, no matter how seemingly small can still deeply impact another's life.  I learned that today with my birthday present from heaven!


ADDENDUM:
But the story doesn't end there. The background story is just as exciting. The person who encouraged my students to write me letters was their English teacher, Mr. Ishida. I confess, that when I first met him three years ago, I considered him “my enemy.”  In the past, he has criticized me in front of the students and made it very obvious that he is not interested in me or my class.  I felt like he often took advantage of me and my time, without willing to give me assistance when I needed it.  However, no matter how frustrated I have been, I have always felt God telling me to “turn my other cheek” and “go the extra mile.”  I can't say that I have always done that, but for the past three years, I have prayed that God would give me patience and teach me to respect Mr. Ishida even when I was frustrated.  I also have prayed that God would change his heart.  All I wanted was a little bit of mutual respect.  I never expected the above...

No comments: