When I returned to Japan, one of my first projects was grading my first-year students' winter homework -- a three-day English journal about their New Years' holidays. Needless to say, I got some really entertaining answers thanks to their use of Japanese-English translators. However, please don't think that I am making fun of my kids. I can totally relate to their struggle in learning another language. I too have made some real doozies. For example, just this last week instead of saying "Japan's Prime Minister," I some how managed to say "shaving my underarms." (Don't ask me how I managed
that one). But thankfully, I have some very kind friends who are patient with all of my errors, can usually decode what I'm trying to say, and always encourage me to continue in my language study. It is my hope that my kids can feel the same way about me....
Anyway, some of my favorite quotes:
"Study also wants to do its best at this tune."
"I wipe the floor with my mother."
"The circumference of dinner is a lot of seafood."
"Because it was cold in the outside, warm pig juice was eaten."
"So why the shoe fly."
"This is my first trip on a bullet train person today."
"A friend and sweets were eaten."
"I went to the house of a cousin today. Therefore, I ate a pan. I was very delicious!"
"The chicken disliked me and therefore I did not eat it this year."
No comments:
Post a Comment