Monday, November 29, 2010

団子:On Supply and Demand

One of Japanese people's favorite traditional treats is dango (団子) Dango are mochi balls (basically pounded cooked rice into a chewy gum-like texture) and stacked on a skewer. Based on the season, there are different varieties. For example, in spring light pink and green cherry blossom dango can be found while in the fall, chestnut dango is popular. In Kyoto especially, dango are popular because Kyoto embraces all things traditional. Of course, following the Japanese mindset, it was essential to try Kyoto dango! (As a side note, Japanese people like to label everything as "famous." For example, "Kyoto is famous for dango." Thus, when visiting an area, according to them, it is important to try all the famous foods associated with the regions (meibutsu)) Okay, back to the dango. Since I visited Kyoto with Mariko (the former home ec. teacher from my school), she really wanted to try Kyoto's famous dango. I am always up for desserts, so I didn't mind her request! While browsing a street-stall's menu, we were both surprised -- the selection included chestnut flavored, green tea, black sesame, anko (sweet red bean), and chocolate!!! Being American, I had to try the chocolate because that just sounded normal to me and the black sesame with gold flakes because that was just too novel! Being Japanese, Mariko had to try the green tea because that just sounded normal to her and the chocolate because that was just too novel!! Whereas I loved the chocolate covered rice balls (they tasted like chocolate-covered marshmallows only not quite so sweet!) Mariko found them literally repulsive! "Why would the storekeeper sell something so gross?" she pondered. I had to laugh. "If they want to attract tourists," I explained, "they are going to have to sell something that doesn't look like spinach or tar!"

No comments: