Japan is very nationalistic -- no a bad thing really and completely expected for a country that was secluded from the rest of the world for so long. Of course, with this nationalism comes a sense of pride and sometimes even racism. I was once again reminded of this fact as I stood helplessly in the school's corridor as a group of first-grade elementary kids started pelting me with bean bags once they found out that I was an American. This wasn't the first time this has happened to me. Once when visiting a kindergarten, the kids asked me if I was an "English-speaking" person. When I told them I was an American, they proceeded to shoot me down with imaginary guns. Whoever said that Japanese are against war definitely haven't visited my schools!!
This sense of nationalism doesn't only run in the children. Its in the adults too, like the time I walked around the corner at school and greeted one of my students' grandparents. She started at me and uttered "You are an alien" (think "extra-terrestrial" like ET. Oh wait, I am ET ;-) Of course, I am old enough to shrug off the words. After-all, I actually have it really easy. You see, dating a foreigner is every Japanese man's dream (just ask my hairdresser!!!) Usually, though, guys are too scared to approach me (tall and blonde) on the street -- for which I am grateful. Poor Sarah (short and with dark hair) has found herself in some sticky situations (the reason why we both have Matthew -- another ALT who lives in our building -- on speed dial in our cellphones). However, whereas having a foreigner girlfriend/boyfriend is a status symbol, being "half-blood" is a status symbol of another sort. My heart melts for my poor students who have been dragged to me by their peers shouting "half, half." I have had little girls ask me what kind of person they look like and then sigh in relief when I say "Japanese." I even have church friends (my age) who find themselves in difficult work situations because they are half-Japanese, half-Brazilian. I don't understand the mentality -- especially being an American where everyone really isn't an American.
So where am I going with this? I guess back to the hallway with the bean bags strewn at my feet. Instead of reprimanding the kids (which I probably should have done), I just stood there thinking as I was being pelted. I won't deny it any longer, it hurt a little to be different. However, I could only think about the story in John 8 about the stoning of the adulterous woman. Why is it that we as humans think that we are better than another? Why is it that we think we can throw painful stones at others -- stones of discouragement, produced by our words and by our actions. Both Christians and non-Christians have been made in our dear Heavenly Father's image. We each have been presented with talents and abilities. However we as Christians have a mandate -- we should love one another as our Father has loved us. Therefore, let's not throw bean bags at others. Let's throw sticks instead!!! Sticks -- kind words and deeds that will "stick" to and with a person for a long time. Sticks that will uplift them and be support beams. It's not easy. I know ... I'm preaching to myself.
1 comment:
Beautiful words! I read it to daddy and both he and I loved it! You're a great little writer!!!
(Call me for editorial comments - just a few.)
Post a Comment