In my blog, I rarely mention my teachers by name, but in fact, I work with some really amazing people! Of course, as in all situations, some
really stand out. Mr.
Ishizuka is/was/and will forever be one of the neatest people I have met here in Japan. When I first arrived at my school two years ago, my desk was right by his, and everyday we would have great conversations about life in Japan, the US, and other things. Having taught for 34 years and traveling extensively, he was very familiar with
ALT's needs. He always looked out for me (from secretly ordering me markers to translating to asking how my adjustment to Japanese life was progressing, etc) Last April, at the beginning of the school year our desk positions were switched and much to both of our disappointment, we were separated by the entire staff room. But, I came to realize that he was always willing to help me even if we actually never taught together. Well, around the beginning of February, he told me he was retiring -- definitely not a surprise, but a great disappointment! Before he officially left at the end of March, he invited me to visit him and his wife in their brand new "dream" house in
Mishima (about 2 hours north by car). He had designed the house himself and was especially proud of the windows (and its awesome view of Mt. Fuji) and the American-made fireplace. Unfortunately, the weather wasn't so pleasant, but it didn't dampen our fun!

A huge "not Japanese" boat. Why? I have no idea!

Mrs.
Ishizuka and I in front of a gate along the old
Tokaido road connecting Kyoto and Tokyo
(notice our height difference!)

Inside the restored village connected with the gate

the village and Lake
Ashi (
literally "Foot Lake" because its its shaped like a foot)

Lake
Ashi sans aforementioned village

My camera's settings were a little weird, but I liked the blue picture!

Sunny day, eh?
Mrs. Ishizuka cooking sukiyaki (thin slices of meat and vegetables cooked in a sweet broth and then dipped in raw egg) for dinner. It was delicious!

Mt. Fuji (or the lack there of!)

They purposely left out their Girl's Day Doll display
for me to see. (Girl's Day was at the beginning of March)
Because its considered "bad luck" to keep the display out past the holiday (supposedly the unwed daughters will never marry) I told them to make sure to put it away before their daughter visited them the following week :-)


The relaxing fireplace

In one of our conversations at school, I told Mr.
Ishizuka that in America it is tradition to roast marshmallows. He remembered these many months later and made sure we had marshmallows to roast (on chopsticks no less!) I enjoyed them -- they were too sweet for him, though!

Then we tried making a Japanese snack -- baked Japanese sweet potato. Unfortunately, we all forgot about it in the fire!

If it was a clear day, Mt. Fuji could be seen behind me (at least that's what I was told!)

The back of the "dream" house

Mt. Fuji!!!!!
(Can you see it? It's there!!)

The next morning we went to an active volcano in the area
(notice our height difference again!)


We had to ride a cable car to get there!
Because of the lack of visibility, I kept on thinking that Godzilla might attack!


The whole area smelled of sulphur...

...and in the 176 degree water, the area's "famous" food was cooked!

...Black Eggs!
2 comments:
What a wonderful experience, Emmy. And how great that you made a friend with an older, experienced teacher and that he had you to his house. Amazing to see the volcano! Did you eat the black egg?
Aunti Hildi
Yes, I did eat the egg (it was only the shell that was black) It tasted basically normal (though here in Japan, all the eggs have a bit of a "fishy" flavor) I think they must feed the chickens fish or something...
Post a Comment