The first and second year students watching the older students' performances. Notice each student is not only wearing their required dress uniform but a surgical mask as well. All students, teachers, and parents were required to take influenza safety precautions. So, I was once again bedecked in my own personal glasses-fogger!
If you look closely behind the students, you will see a huge poster that they created out of tiny (approx. 1in x 1in) squares of paper. Each class was given a huge strip of paper and a mini "map." This team-building exercise required the students to work together for several weeks to cut out the paper squares, determine their correct locations and glue them accordingly. The finished panels were connected and the banner was unveiled during the bunkasai.
Another aspect of Shinohara JHS's bunkai is a presentation of personal accomplishments in various subjects. Exceptional students' work was on display for their peers, parents, and others from the community to view.
Some third-year students viewing a poster display of the second and third-year classes "life experience days" ("Life Experience" post for further info).
A stone inkan (personal seal) and wooden carrying case made in Industrial Arts class.
One of my personal favorite displays: Japanese characters incorporated into 3D pictures to represent what they mean. For example, the top left one is the character cha which means tea.
Not all of the presentations were visual. During the concert, one student, Emi, presented an English speech. She had competed in a city-wide English speech contest earlier in the year. Although, she didn't win, I was so proud of her. She is an amazing student -- she has so many talents, but beyond that she is sweet, caring, and has a beautiful smile (when I can get it out of her!) Please enjoy her speech (and my very horrible video skills). Yes, I realize its not perfect and a little strange at times, but she improved so much over the weeks that I can only be proud of her strides and her attempt to move from a monotone orator to one with more emotion. I can't imagine being in her shoes and presenting a five minute speech in Japanese! It was such a joy to coach her.
Two very talented piano students also performed. I couldn't help but remember the many piano recitals I used to play in as a student!
Not to be outdone by the girls, several boys wrote and acted in a couple of hilarious skits including one that required two boys to dress up as girls (above picture -- the "girl" in red is actually one of my best boy students) and another about two new Assistant Language Teachers (ALTS -- i.e. my job title) from Peru and Mexico, respectively that came to teach the students English.
2 comments:
Thanks for sharing your videos and comments about the cultural festival. It was interesting to see what a production it was and how everyone participated. Can you imagine it taking place here?!?
I would love the video of the singing performances. (Did you throw in that line for me?)
Post a Comment