Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Afurika wa doko desu ka?: Where is Africa?

Scene 1:
In the hallway at school

Characters:
Tomo (a very, very outgoing third-year student)
Emily (wearing a sweater on a very warm day)
Tomo's Friend (smart, but quiet)






Tomo: Hi Emily. How are you?

Emily: I'm a little hot, and you?

Tomo: I'm hungry.

Emily: Why are you hungry? Did you eat lunch?

Tomo: Yes, I did. Sport [sic] make me hungry. Track and field, hungry.

Emily: Can you eat a snack?

Tomo: No, I can't. I hungry.

Emily (attempting to change the conversation): By the way, you sang very well at the chorus contest.

Tomo (to friend in Japanese): ehh?

Tomo's Friend (in Japanese): You were the best singer.

Emily: Listen again. You sang very well at the chorus contest.

Tomo (to friend in Japanese): ehh?

Tomo's Friend (in Japanese): You sang very well.

Tomo: Thank you.

Emily: You're welcome.

Tomo: I like "We are the World." I like Africa.

Emily: Oh, really? Have you ever been to Africa.

Tomo: Yes.

Emily (realizing this is a joke): Really?? Sugoii (amazing) Where have you been in Africa?

Tomo: Jamaica

Emily: Really??? Jamaica is in Africa????? Really???

Tomo's Friend (to Tomo): baka (you're a dunce)


Emily (to herself): When I was in middle school, I would have probably said the same thing!



THE END



___________________________________


Lillis, you live in Africa. Have you ever been to Jamaica?

2 comments:

mum said...

Ah yes, geography......not one of our favorite subjects!! Remember: "What state do we live in, Emily?" "Orlando??" I'd say, at that juncture in our educational endeavors, it was more likely the state of confusion!

Lillis Joy said...

Can't say as I've been to Jamaica anywhere on the continent. Though I did stop through when I was in NYC. :-)