After school, my two darling LOL friends Mihoko and Kuniko told me to meet them at the train station. What they were up to, I could only guess, but whatever it was I knew it would be special! When I arrived at the station, Kuniko was waiting for me and promptly took me to Mihoko's house where the two of them had prepared a special meal. 
Dinner consisted of mixed vegetable soup, roast beef with veggies and garlic sauce, shrimp rice, potato/tossed salad (2 salads in one 1 bowl!), and "money-time" beans (at least that's how they translated) These over sized "kidney" beans had been cooked with onions by Kuniko (on the right) and served cold with cream on top. I wouldn't exactly call them delicious, but they weren't bad. They tasted exactly like what cold kidney beans and onions with cream on top taste like -- cold kidney beans with onions and cream! During dinner we had lovely conversations. I have been so blessed to have these two ladies enter my life -- they can verbalize their faith in English and offer such interesting perspectives of Japan, being a Christian in Japan, and living as a foreigner (Mihoko lived in Canada for several years while Kuniko spent time in Evanston, Illinois while her husband was working on his PhD at Northwestern University).
Then it was cake time!! Mihoko made a delicious cheese cake complete with pear compote and fresh Japanese cherries (yes, there is a huge distinction between Japanese and American cherries). They also presented me with some lovely fresh flowers and tradition Japanese porcelain. Our evening concluded with the three of us singing tunes from Sound of Music while Mihoko played the piano. I can't say I have ever had a birthday like this one before, but the uniqueness made it especially special!
Dinner consisted of mixed vegetable soup, roast beef with veggies and garlic sauce, shrimp rice, potato/tossed salad (2 salads in one 1 bowl!), and "money-time" beans (at least that's how they translated) These over sized "kidney" beans had been cooked with onions by Kuniko (on the right) and served cold with cream on top. I wouldn't exactly call them delicious, but they weren't bad. They tasted exactly like what cold kidney beans and onions with cream on top taste like -- cold kidney beans with onions and cream! During dinner we had lovely conversations. I have been so blessed to have these two ladies enter my life -- they can verbalize their faith in English and offer such interesting perspectives of Japan, being a Christian in Japan, and living as a foreigner (Mihoko lived in Canada for several years while Kuniko spent time in Evanston, Illinois while her husband was working on his PhD at Northwestern University).
No comments:
Post a Comment