Saturday, March 14, 2009

The Special Meal

Yesterday was the last day of school lunches for the school year. As I anticipated the meal for the day (I can't read the menu, so I am always curious to know what is going to appear on my desk at 12:20 each day), I wondered if there would be any sort of acknowledgement. I mean, in America, every holiday and special event always has special foods and usually a calorie splurge. Christmas has eggnog, and gingerbread. Easter has carrot cake. Valentines Day and Halloween -- chocolate. When I taught kindergarten we had a pizza party at the end of the year and when I left work in Tallahassee last summer, the office threw me a yummy ice cream party complete with delicious chocolate, coconut, butterscotch brownies. So, I mused, what kind of sweet surprise would await me on this day? Would the lunch ladies even dare to break the strict daily allotment of calories for one day of the year? Well, I shouldn't have been concerned. The Japanese like to celebrate, too! Our special red rice and beans wasn't exactly chocolate cake, but it was a cultural indication that the students had been successful in of their accomplishments!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oooo! Looks like a party!!
May be you'll have to celebrate with something delicious on your own.