
Today, after making an emergency run to the 100 Yen store (think Japanese Dollar Tree) for flyswatters (no, I don't have a fly infestation, I needed them for my class), I visited a new supermarket. As soon as I walked in, I could tell there was something different. I couldn't quite pinpoint it, but it really felt "western." Sure, there was an entire aisle dedicated to seaweed and another to dried fish, but there were also unheard of "treasures" such as sour cream, cheese, nuts, frozen lasagna, and even a bakery! As I was basking in my find, I walked around the corner only to discover the above bag. Yep, I had stumbled upon the Japanese version of Walmart. Upon closer inspection, I realized that even the milk in my cart was labeled with both Walmart's Great Value brand and Japanese Kanji! I got so excited (not that I'm a Walmart fiend, but it really felt "homey") that for a moment I forgot where I was. Unfortunately, that moment was a bit too long, as I soon realized that it isn't appropriate to divide a bunch of bananas in Japan.
2 comments:
I'm glad you found a place that feels a little like home - even if it was a Walmart!
Yes, who would have thought?! A Janpanese WalMart, amazing. And why can't you divide a bunch of bananas in Japan? Love you Emmy. Auntie Hildi
Post a Comment