Actually, its an indication that homesickness in a foreign country is a genuinely true feeling -- especially around the holidays! Let me explain, when I first moved into my apartment one of my initial tasks was going through the very stuffed closest to see what I did and didn't have (old yogurt containers, check! cereal boxes, check! towels, nope!) In my digging, I came across this interesting table centerpiece of many little figurines standing around a basket "table" and eating magnetic vegetables (or as the fellow on the left is doing, smashing his garlic!) Due to the additional fruits, vegetables, and leaves on the bottom of the display, I could only deduce that this must have been a former resident's attempt to celebrate Thanksgiving in his/her unique way since American thanksgiving does not exist in Japan (no surprise actually!). As for me, I called home a gazillion times that week (yep, I'm homesick), worked all day, and then had the special privilege of seeing a 60 lb tuna being slaughtered in front of 150 sixth graders during a special presentation in the gym about fishing in Hamamatsu. I have never seen so many people salivate over anything (it was like they were all kids in a candy shop in America) as the fisherman chopped off the fish's tail and fins. As the resident non-Japanese, they provided me with the opportunity of cutting the flesh into sashimi as all my students cheered me on. Then, in true Japanese fashion, it was fish time!!!!! Yep, for Thanksgiving, this girl ate raw fish (and according to the teachers, it was one of the best fish you can possibly eat raw). I couldn't say though, I was still trying to get over the eyes staring at me :-)
1 comment:
Just think about Turkey and Christmas Cookies, scramble eggs, and all the other things you missed in lest than 14 days
Post a Comment