This posting is extremely long overdue as I actually located a church the first weekend I was in Hamamatsu. Another English teacher and I were "reading" a map that had a cross on it, but were completely unsuccessful in locating a church. So we asked the nearest pedestrian where the closest church was. She "happened" to be a member and lead us right to the building (in the opposite direction of our map. Come to find out, the cross was for a wedding chapel!) Although, I visited several churches, I have felt most at home at the first one even though it is totally in Japanese. Slowly, ever so slowly, I am relearning the basic components of a service -- hymns, the Lord's Prayer, Apostle's Creed, etc, and even though I still can't understand a word of the sermon, there have been several elderly ladies who have taken it upon themselves to translate as best as they can. Every Sunday, I have a designated "English" speaker sit by me. Their dedication has been most appreciated, although, I must admit I do miss being truly "fed" by the pastor. In the meantime, I have learned that Christ's love spreads beyond any language barrier.
Tuesday, December 2, 2008
Church
This posting is extremely long overdue as I actually located a church the first weekend I was in Hamamatsu. Another English teacher and I were "reading" a map that had a cross on it, but were completely unsuccessful in locating a church. So we asked the nearest pedestrian where the closest church was. She "happened" to be a member and lead us right to the building (in the opposite direction of our map. Come to find out, the cross was for a wedding chapel!) Although, I visited several churches, I have felt most at home at the first one even though it is totally in Japanese. Slowly, ever so slowly, I am relearning the basic components of a service -- hymns, the Lord's Prayer, Apostle's Creed, etc, and even though I still can't understand a word of the sermon, there have been several elderly ladies who have taken it upon themselves to translate as best as they can. Every Sunday, I have a designated "English" speaker sit by me. Their dedication has been most appreciated, although, I must admit I do miss being truly "fed" by the pastor. In the meantime, I have learned that Christ's love spreads beyond any language barrier.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
wow, you are sooo brave to venture into church solo in a completely different language. Japan is a good place for you though, b/c it's safe to do that, right? :)
Post a Comment