Saturday, November 15, 2008

Harp Cookies

Oh chocolate chip cookies, so high on the shelf hiding inside of the jar, I'm not tall enough to reach you myself -- so near and yet so very far....


The above is an excerpt from one of my favorite children's songs by Sandra Boyton. I have thought about it a lot recently as I have sought to find a harp in Japan. Hamamatsu is the "city of music" thus I am constantly surrounded by it. From the huge Yamaha store downtown (that wanted to sell me a harmonica instead of a harp) to the street musicians on every corner to my students' band and choir concerts, I am immersed in music, but I have not been able to participate. I never realized how much music was part of my life until I was completely stripped of the opportunity to play (yeah I know its kind of a weird realization coming from an 18-year music veteran who has a degree and once despised practicing). My attempt to locate a harp has been quite fruitless due to the language barrier (ie. Yamaha and the harmonica); however, just yesterday I was able to finally "taste" the proverbial "harp cookies" as the music teacher at my junior high school finally located one for me. It is at a local private catholic girl's school that has an internationally-renowned band. There are two students who play in the band (though neither have had any formal training) and it has been decided that I will teach them in exchange for practice time. The news was so sweet and music to my ears :-) My prayers (and yours, too) have been answered!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We are so happy, too, and know that having a harp to play periodically will help you feel more like yourself! It IS an answer to prayer, dearest Emily.