Thursday, November 13, 2008

Dear Clara....














Dearest Clara,


Its hard to believe that you are turning one today. My how time flies.... It seems like just last month that I got a phone call from your mommy telling me she was pregnant with you. I was so excited to be the "first" to know and it was so hard to keep the secret from your Grammy and Grampy. Then, the day that you came, sadly, I wasn't there (thanks to a great big test at FSU and OpZip), but I was so eager to hear the news that you made it that I literally slipped in the shower as I rushed to the phone. Instead of hearing "It's a girl!" or "Her name is Clara!" I was instead greeted to the most beautiful sound on earth -- your voice. I have to say, that I have always thought it strange that parents like to count their children's fingers and toes, but when I actually got to see you for the first time a week later, that is exactly what I did, for the entire Thanksgiving break, I loved just rocking you and staring into your eyes.











When you finally wear old enough to travel, your mommy brought you to Tally several times to visit me. Though you probably don't remember it, we had lots of fun splashing in the sink, dumping over cups of cold ice water on your mommy, baking your six-month birthday cake, and accidentally hitting your head on the only hard surface in the house making me feel like a horrible babysitter.









This summer, we had the chance to have so much fun together -- in Houston, Orlando, and Yosemite. People sometimes thought you were mine, which I didn't mind (you are my niece after all). I hope you didn't mind either. Of course, only an auntie would paint toenails on a 7-month-old and take her out for doughnuts!!! But then of course, only an auntie would also accidentally lock her beloved Clara in the car -- once again I felt like an absolutely horrible babysitter.



Its hard to believe that now, a year later, you have gotten so much bigger. You are walking, talking, and eating real foods. You have also become really responsible -- you are a wonderful caretaker for my ice cream maker while I'm in Japan.










I'm sorry I can't be there in person to celebrate your first birthday. I wish with all my heart I could be there... of course dearest, baby bug, I will never forget you and I miss you terribly and love you dearly. But don't cry too much, because I'll be home for Christmas, you can count on me. Please have twinkle toes and lots of bows, and no sushi!!! See you soon dearest and happy birthday.


Lots of Love,

Auntie









1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How precious! (You and Clara!!)