About a month ago I was especially struggling with these questions and asking for some answers. Then while hiking around the grounds of a Buddhist temple it dawned on me that the Japanese constantly seek peace -- in nature, in daily life, in meditation, and cultural activities. However, it cannot be found here. Although the temples are meant to be a relaxing, religious places, they lack all that the Japanese people seek. The weight of the gravity of this pagan society really struck me. People come to pray to whom they know not, donate money to buy their way to heaven, and offer sacrifices to please the gods. Peace is what they seek, but it cannot be found here. Recently, my mom sent me a hymn book from New Tribes Mission entitled Songs of Challenge. One song, though maybe not completely theologically correct, really touched me.
Have you heard the sobbing of a thousand million souls submerged in darkest heathen night? Vainly groping for the way that leads to hope and peace, they plead and wait for gospel light. Have you heard the sobbing of a thousand million souls, by superstitious chains enslaved? Can you longer be indifferent to their sad estate? Thro' Jesus they can all be saved. Can you hear the sobbing of a thousand million souls who seek relief of heart in vain? Let them have the blessed gospel that can freedom give and rend the chains of sin in twain. A thousand million souls are dying, a thousand million souls for whom the Saviour died; Can you still deny their plea, can you longer idle be, while a thousand million souls are dying?
I have been given the gift of true peace. Although I cannot change hearts and lives, I can share the truth. With God's assistance I can be salt and light. That is why I am here. I may never know exactly why, but no matter the challenges I face, I know I am not here alone and I am here for a reason.
"Peace I leave with you, my peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid." John 14:27
1 comment:
You are really starting to understand what it is now to travel and live in a different culture. Thinking as an outsider, and yet appreciating the things of the local world. This will be a experience that will grow, shape and form you for years into the future.
Post a Comment