Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Basu Blessings

If I had a picture of me kissing a bus, I would post it. But, alas, I don't make it a habit of showing public displays affection to vehicles so this posting will have to suffice. I must confess that several months ago, I wasn't thinking particularly Christian words regarding the incredibly confusing bus system here (for a recap, see Basu Blues) but today, I was twice blessed by my "arch enemy." Transporting incredible amounts of toilet paper (see below) to and from school is no easy task; however, sticking out in Japan is quite simple. This morning, as I was racing to my bus stop lugging 12 rolls of tp, my computer and purse, all I could do was dash towards the bus stop when I saw the bus turn the corner. However, I am no sprinter and didn't make it in time. As I stood panting watching the bus drive towards me and away from the stop, I was completely shocked when it paused where I was standing, and the incredibly nice driver opened the doors, and beckoned me on board. Then tonight, when lugging 18 rolls of tp, my computer, and purse, I accidentally left my purse on board. Of course, I didn't realize my incredibly blonde moment until I reached my front door (yes it had my camera, cell phone, house keys...) However, my awesome neighbors called the bus station (and fed me dinner) and a panic alert went out to all buses on my line for the eigo no kaban (English bag). Within twenty minutes it was located and placed on the next bus headed for my stop. As for the camera, house keys, and cell phone -- it is only in Japan that things remain untouched!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I, too, bless the "basu" - especially for returning your camera. One lost camera per year is quite enough!

dbardy said...

wish I tried that in post-communist Bulgaria. :p