Friday, July 13, 2012

積志小学校とお別けれ会

I am not sure why, but I have hardly mentioned Sekishi Elementary School on this blog.  After all, this school is definitely my favorite!  I actually started teaching here two and a half years ago and immediately fell in love.  Sekishi is so different from my two rural schools!  Located in the northern part of the city in the medical/academic district of town, the demographics are sooooo different.  These students and their teachers know about the world and further learning, especially in English, is encouraged.  Therefore, it is always a pleasure to visit the school -- everyone is so kind and friendly and I feel like they see me as an important asset to the students' education. 




At Sekishi, English is taught in the "Dream Room"




It is a "wired" classroom complete with lots of space for moving!
The thing I like best about Sekishi is that I can be the teacher I have always dreamt of being.  I can interact with the kids because they want to interact with me.  I have many chances to share with them about the United States and other cultures.  They love asking me questions and are so eager to participate in activities and interact with me.  Teaching here is always a pleasure!!

Because the students come to me, instead of me going to their classroom, I can greet each one as they enter



We love playing English games at Sekishi!

 When I found out that I wasn't going to be able to take Maigen back to the United States with me, my first thought was "Yay, now I maybe I can play the harp for the rest of my students!"  I asked the Sekishi teachers if I could play for the 5th and 6th graders (since they are the ones that I teach).  What, I wasn't expecting was a fully organized "Goodbye Concert and Ceremony" for all of the students. 

Over 850 teachers and students gathered in the gym




Giving my goodbye speech -- the first of at least seven!

Receiving a farewell speech from the kids -- all in English!!

Receiving surprise thank you letters from all the 5th and 6th graders

Receiving surprise flowers from the Principal

Walking through the tunnel of flowers

All the students wanted to shake my hand one last time.  I felt like a celebrity!!

Afterwards, one of the sixth grade classes had the chance to try playing the harp

Before they left for the day, many of the students wanted to say one last goodbye

My almost 400 letters from the students!

No comments: