Monday, February 28, 2011

雛祭り(Girl's Day): Emily Style (A.K.A. Japan goofed!)

This coming Thursday is Girl's Day the fabulous sounding holiday where Japanese girls visit other girls homes and look at their beautiful dolls and eat special sweets and sushi. I think it is the most exciting holiday -- a giant national tea party -- what could be better!! I used to want buy my own dolls, but since I don't have an extra $800-$1500 lying around I haven't (I keep hoping I can find a cheaper version!) However, my dear friends at Baskin-Robbins offered a wonderful different alternative! Yes, a hina doll set made out of ice cream!!!!! Can you think of anything better or more appropriate?!?!

I was sooooo excited I couldn't stop talking about their cuteness. So, I decided to have my own doll viewing party. First, I recruited Sarah and Helen. The three of us bipassed the traditional sushi for pizza. (Hey, it was my party. I could do whatever I wanted ;-)


Then we opened the frozen box of goodness. Except something wasn't quite right.... Below is the advertised set and below it "my doll set." Can you spot the difference? Look closely ;-)





3 comments:

mum said...

Awwww! What a HUGE disappointment! Do you know enough Japanese to lodge a complaint?

Hilda said...

Were they still tasty? And I agree--it's your party and you can serve what you want to. Hope you had fun!

Allison Mhoon said...

I read this when you first posted it and my computer was funny and wouldn't let me comment....

HOW FUNNY!!! Now I see why you laughed so hard!!! Thanks for posting the pictures. :) Hey, at least they were strawberries and not something wrapped in seaweed...