
Inside it is completely made of wood and paper (thank goodness there wasn't a fire!) and had a million (okay, maybe a slight exaggeration!) steps. Any enemy that survived scaling the huge stone walls, would have definitely been defeated by the steep stairs...
...or the scary-looking occupants.One of my favorite features of the castle were the tiny hidden rooms (modeled here with Helen-Marie sans doors) that could work both as a closet and a hide out complete with shooting windows. Can you just imagine being shot at from what you thought was a futon?
That evening we visited Mt. Rokko via a cable car to see the Osaka harbor at night (A.K.A. the Million Dollar View) An unexpected treat was to also see a mountain hog enjoying his supper. Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera ready to capture the bovines' buffet.
While enjoying the view, I also had the chance to overhear a man brag (in English) that he invented the cello. Since he didn't look like he was 500 years old I suspected it was a pick-up line. I wasn't impressed...
Dinner that night consisted of takoyaki (octopus balls) for which Osaka is famous. Although its favorite of many Japanese young people, I personally wasn't impressed. I mean, what is delicious about a fried gooey ball of octopus covered in mayonnaise and dry roasted tuna skin????? Plus, the octopus suckers stuck to my tongue :-( It took all my effort to keep from gagging and keep the slippery globs from following off my chopsticks. The whole scene, though, was quite amusing for some old men who were bystanders. Oh well, at least someone enjoyed the gastronomical experience!
Next Stop: Pancakes and Peace
2 comments:
Good for you, sweetie, for enjoying your Japanese experience to the fullest - even willingly experiencing the unusual cuisine. You are amazing!!
How were you not impressed by cello guy? He also invented the bass AND speakers!
Post a Comment